Saturday, August 17, 2013

Tuesday, August 13: just before Palas del Rei to Ribadiso de Baixo

27.1 km today. Only 40km left to Santiago. Two more days. 


It was a very long walking day through forests and villages so small they didn't even have fountains. 



About 10:30 I happened upon a bar serving eggs and bacon, oh yum! The eggs here are more orange and taste better than the eggs in American grocery stores. 


Another ancient roman bridge

Around noon I walked into the large bustling city of Melide. It's crowded chaos was a stark contrast to the peaceful morning. Octopus (pulpo) is very popular in this area of Spain. This guy saw me looking curiously in the pot and asked if I wanted to eat it. No, see it. I replied. So he held one of the purple beasts up for a photo. 


I bought groceries to make chicken piccata pasta for dinner. The town I planned on stopping in had two albergues with kitchens but no grocery store. So I had to carry the food for the next 11 miles. 

Passed a medieval fair in the older section of the city. 

Lots of abandoned shoes on the camino lately. 

I chose to stay at the private albergue in Ribadiso de Baixo called Albergue Los Caminantes, mostly because of the wifi. It was a spacious albergue with a huge kitchen, dining room, lounge and out door patio. 


Walking this far in one day takes so long there is only enough time left in the day to shower, eat and then it's just about time for bed. I did go down to the stream and soak my tired feet in the very very cold water. 


No comments:

Post a Comment