Sunday, August 18, 2013

Wednesday, August 14: Ribadiso de Baixo to Pedrouzo

Walked 22.8km today. 


I slept a quite a bit later than I wanted to day and that resulted in me arriving in to my planned destination too late to get a room at one of the albergues. 

Breakfast in the city of Arzúa


This puppy was just laying in the road getting some sun. It wasn't a very active or affectionate puppy. But she sure is cute. As much as I have wanted a camino dog this trip I put her back a few feet away off the road. Her mom came over a minute later to make sure she was ok. 

Countdown: 30!


I wonder why the stop signs are in English. 

Countdown: 20!

I arrived in the town of Pedrouzo the last town with albergues before Santiago. I played the find-a-not-full-albergue game but this time I lost. All the albergues were full so I started asking pensions and found several of full. I was mad. I was mad at all the 100km camino tourists who had reserved the rooms or beaten me to them. I was mad at the camino for letting me down on my last night. I was mad because I was hot and tired and wanted to be done. I was mad that this was more effort than I wanted to give. 

Eventually a lady at a full albergue directed me to a pension that she thought "might" have availability. It was really a couple's house where they rented the extra rooms. The sign on the door directed me to the bar next door where the owner of both said there was space and that a room for one person was €28.  "28!" I exclaimed in shocked reply but agreed to take the room. 

I was shown the room, dropped off my stuff, then returned to the bay to check-in and pay. I handed the man a €50 note and he gave me €32 in change. I said nothing. I get the wrong change all the time here. I can't tell if the people can't do math or the prices are so not-concrete that they forget the price they told me. Oh well if its in my favor I keep my mouth shut and pretend I am a dumb tourista who doesn't have a clue about this foreign colorful Monopoly money. 


I passed a pizza place as I entered town that I wanted to try for dinner called Café Pizzeria Trebol. They had a large selection of pizzas, from which I chose ham and mushroom as well as a small salad.  A lot of the pizzas here are pre made frozen, this one was not. It was the best pizza I've had yet in Spain. It was loaded with cheese and toppings and the crust actually had some flavor other than flour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment